As an avid griller, I’m always looking for ways to grill safely and prevent damage to my patio. Portable grills are extremely convenient, but their proximity to outdoor surfaces can be concerning.
In this blog post, I’ll explain if it’s necessary to use a heat-resistant mat underneath your portable grill based on my experience and expertise.
You can make an informed decision by considering the grill’s construction, ventilation, and your patio’s material.
A heat mat provides an extra layer of protection but may not be required with some modern portable grill models.
I aim to educate grillers so they can grill with total confidence without worrying about scorching or damaging your deck or patio.
Read on to learn my tips and recommendations so you can keep grilling all summer while keeping your outdoor space safe and looking its best.
What Are Heat Proof Grill Mats?
As a grilling enthusiast, I always seek ways to protect my patio or deck from potential damage. Heatproof grill mats provide an ideal solution.
These handy mats are constructed using fibreglass, PTFE, or other heat-resistant and weather-resistant materials to create a protective barrier between your outdoor surface.
Grill mats allow you to place your hot grill directly on top without worrying about scorching or discolouration.
The thick pad absorbs and distributes the heat source evenly, preventing excess concentrated heat from reaching your wood or composite decking material. Many quality grill mats can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
These mats provide a non-stick surface, so falling grease and debris won’t stick and stain your patio like they could on a bare concrete patio.
Additionally, multiple sheets can be placed side by side to accommodate larger grills.
Cleanup is easy. Just wipe the mat down after grilling. Grill mats are a great investment to preserve and protect the space around your grill for years.
They provide peace of mind while grilling and keep your patio or deck looking pristine. Grill mats come in a variety of sizes to accommodate any portable grill or barbecue.
Do I Need A Mat Under My Grill?
As an avid griller, protecting your deck or patio surface underneath is always a top concern. Do you need a special mat under your grill? The answer depends on a few key factors.
The material your outdoor living space is constructed from plays a major role. Natural stone, concrete, brick, or other non-flammable surfaces are resilient against grill heat.
However, bare wood or composite decking material is much more vulnerable to scorching, discolouration, and burning without a protective mat.
Portable grills, in particular, need closer consideration. Their short legs bring intense heat close to your deck’s surface, increasing the risk of damage without a mat. Built-in grills or tables generally have more clearance.
Ventilation and drip trays also influence the heat exposure underneath. Well-designed grills concentrate heat upwards for cooking rather than downwards. A mat provides an added layer of protection in any situation.
Considering your grill type and patio material, a quality heat-resistant mat adds peace of mind. For around $40, a deck mat is a small investment to protect expensive wood deck resurfacing. Stay safe while you grill to your heart’s content by putting a durable mat under your barbecue.
Where Should You Use A Fireproof Grill Mat?
As an avid griller, I recommend using a fireproof grill mat whenever you place a hot grill on a flammable surface. Though extremely useful, these mats are especially important in certain situations.
Wooden decks and patios are the most vulnerable and should always have a protective mat beneath grills.
Even treated lumber can scorch, discolour or ignite without a heat barrier. Wood Composite decking material is also at risk of heat damage from concentrated grill heat.
Plastic outdoor furniture like patio tables needs grill mats for extra protection. The intense heat can melt and warp plastic over time.
A fireproof mat also provides peace of mind when grilling on apartment balconies or rented properties where any damage could risk your security deposit.
Grill mats are a wise investment anytime your grill sits near grass or delicate vegetation. Dry plants can easily burn without the insulation of a mat.
With a quality fireproof mat beneath your grill, you can enjoy great barbecue flavour without worrying about damaging your patio, furniture or lawn.
Place your mat and grill confidently to have the safest and best grilling experience possible.
How To Use Grill Mats (2023 Update) 4 Simple Steps?
As a seasoned griller, I rely on grill mats to keep my patio pristine while cooking tasty barbecue. Using these handy mats is easy if you follow a few simple steps:
- Clean your grill surface – Give your carpet the best clean surface grip by wiping down your grill’s legs and underside before placing. This removes grease or debris that could cause slipping.
- Unroll the mat – Grill mats roll up for convenient storage. Unroll your mat completely flat and centred under where the grill will sit. Smooth out any creases.
- Align the mat – Make sure the mat is aligned evenly under the grill’s legs. Having the legs situated fully on the mat prevents heat transfer beyond its edges.
- Fire up the grill! – With your mat in place, you’re ready to start grilling. It will provide a protective barrier against heat, grease and more. Enjoy your barbecue, and let excess debris cool before rolling up the mat.
With these simple steps, you can grill to your heart’s content this season. Grill mats make cooking out safer and easier. Just lay it, align it, and get ready to grill!
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Heatproof Mat Under A Portable Grill?
Portable grills provide great ease for cooking outdoor grill, but their close contact with deck or patio surfaces can only be problematic with protection. Using a heatproof mat underneath a portable grill offers some excellent benefits:
- Prevents surface damage – The mat protects wooden or composite decks from scorching, discolouration and burning caused by a grill’s concentrated heat.
- Provides a non-stick barrier – This product provides protection for your deck, patio, and garage floor against water, sauce, grease, and oil stains. Outdoor flooring is protected from potential damage caused by cooking byproducts.
- Easy cleanup – Once cooled, the mat can be rolled up and washed off, avoiding debris on the bare ground.
- Contains sparks – Heatproof mats prevent embers or sparks from falling through the grill grates and potentially ignite flammable surfaces below.
- Adds stability – The mat creates a smooth base to keep portable grills from tipping or sinking into soft ground.
- Portability – Grill mats roll up for easy transport and storage with your portable grill.
For a small investment, a durable PVC material heatproof mat provides major protection and convenience beneath your portable barbecue. Help your grill and patio survive another grilling season with this essential accessory.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Grilling?
Grilling is a popular cooking technique, but it has some potential downsides. When considering grilling, it’s important to be aware of the following disadvantages:
- Formation of carcinogens – Grilling meats at high heat causes heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to form. These compounds are carcinogenic and harmful to health.
- Overcooking – Overcharging or overdrying food on the grill’s direct, intense heat is easy. Close monitoring is required to prevent overcooking.
- Flare-ups – Grease drippings can ignite into flames, charring food and posing a fire hazard. This makes grilling potentially more dangerous than other cooking methods.
- Cleanup – Grilling requires scrubbing the grill grates after each use and properly disposing of grease and ash, adding extra work.
- Potential for stains – Spills and grease drips can easily stain patios, walls, clothing, etc., around the grill area.
- Exposure to smoke – Standing near the grill, and breathing in smoke for long periods, raises health concerns.
While grilling produces great flavour, being aware of the potential downsides like carcinogens, overcooking, flare-ups, and extensive cleanup allows you to grill more safely and minimally.
Best Heatproof Mat In 2023 (My Top 3 Choices)
As an avid griller, having a quality heatproof mat is essential for protecting my deck from portable grills. After testing numerous options, these 3 mats stand out as the best for 2023:
- Kabobs Grill Mat – This fibreglass mat withstands up to 600°F direct flames. Its non-stick coating prevents food from sticking and stains from setting. The thick construction absorbs heat and is easy to clean with soap and water. Durable and reversible, this large mat will last many grilling seasons.
- MR. BAR-B-Q 05193X – Crafted from food-grade silicone, this flexible material and heavy-duty grill mat handles temperatures up to 500°F. The ribbed bottom grips the surface to prevent slipping, while the top collects grease and debris for no-fuss cleanup. It rolls up neatly for storage and provides great value.
- Grillaholics Grill Mat – Made of PTFE-coated fibreglass, this mat can handle 700°F heat. The generous mat size accommodates any grill and can be trimmed down as needed. Easy to wipe down after use, its durability makes it a long-term investment.
Any of these three tough, high-quality mats will protect your deck and make grilling simpler. Pick the perfect grill mat that best fits your barbecue needs this season.
How Do You Clean And Maintain A Heatproof Mat?
As an avid griller, I rely on my heatproof mats to keep my patio spotless. Regular use makes it important to clean and care for them properly. Here are my tips for mat maintenance:
After each use, allow the mat to cool fully. Use a metal spatula to scrape any stuck-on debris or large food particles. Then roll up the mat and gently hose it off to remove grease and grime.
Unroll the mat and use a brush and warm, soapy water to scrub its surface for a deeper clean. Target stained areas with a soft soapy cloth or nylon scrub pad. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to eliminate all soap residue.
To disinfect, make a dilute bleach solution and wipe down the mat. This helps kill germs and prevent odours. Rinse the mat well and allow it to fully dry before storing.
Keep mats rolled up in a cool, dry place when not in use. Never fold or crease them, as this can cause cracks over time. Avoid harsh cleaners that could degrade the protective material.
Regular careful cleaning and proper storage allow a quality heatproof mat to last many grilling seasons. A well-maintained mat provides extra protection for your grill, patio and lawn. Keep your mat in tip-top shape so you can grill with confidence.
How Do You Determine When It’s Time To Replace It?
As an avid griller, I get a lot of great use out of my grill mats. But with wear and tear, you need to replace them at some point. Here are the signs I watch for to determine when it’s time for a new mat:
- Visible cracks or holes – Punctures, rips or large cracks mean the mat’s protective integrity is compromised and can no longer effectively shield your deck.
- Discolouration or degradation – If the mat material appears faded, brittle, misshapen or uneven, its non-stick and heat-resistant properties are breaking down.
- Slippage issues – If your mat allows the grill to slide around on top of it, its grip and functionality need to be revised.
- Difficult stains – If grease or other spill stains are persistently hard to remove even after deep cleaning, the mat is beyond saving.
- Excess thinning – Grill mats gradually lose thickness and cushion over years of use. Under 1/4 inch thickness means it’s time for a replacement.
- Expiration – Grill mats do have a lifespan. Retirement is deserved if you’ve achieved the expected 3-5 year lifespan.
- Observing these indicators will ensure you get the maximum useful life out of your mat. Replace at the first major sign of wear for peak grilling protection.
As a passionate griller, protecting my patio investment is a top priority. Using a high-quality, durable material and heatproof mat provides an affordable way to safely prevent long-term damage while grilling.
Consider your type of grill, ventilation, patio material and exposure level surface to determine if a mat is right for you.
Mats may be especially useful under compact portable grills. With a thin, fire-resistant material barrier, you can contain intense heat and drips to keep your deck or stone pristine.
Allow a heat mat to take the abuse so you can relax and flip those burgers without stress. Keep your portable grill secure and your patio protected while enjoying deliciously grilled food all season.
Quality grill mats are designed to withstand high temperatures – usually up to 500-700°F direct heat. Fibreglass or silicone construction allows the mats to absorb and distribute intense heat from grills without becoming damaged. This high heat resistance provides a protective barrier between your grill and cooking surfaces.
With proper care and maintenance, a good quality BBQ grill mat can be used for many grilling seasons. Most grill mats will last approximately 3-5 years with regular use before needing replacement. Look for signs of wear like discolouration, thinning or cracking to determine when to retire an ageing grill mat and replace it with a new one.
A heatproof mat under your portable grill can extend its lifespan. The mat prevents premature weathering and deterioration by protecting the grill’s exterior from direct contact with intense heat and corrosive drippings. Allowing air circulation rather than direct ground contact also reduces moisture damage.
The average lifespan of a quality heatproof grill mat is approximately 3-5 years with regular use. Higher-quality fibreglass or silicone mats may last 5+ years if properly maintained. Look for visible wear, thinning, discolouration or brittleness as signs a mat needs replacement. With careful use and storage, a grill mat can provide many years of wood deck protection.